Several years ago (decades, really), I started to experience occasional inflammation in the gum over the root area of a molar that had been treated with a root canal and crowned. It was an uncomfortable bump for only a few days at a time, but it always came back. I went to many dentists over the intervening years and had many x-rays but never discovered the cause. Thankfully, I started going to a new, integrative dentist about 4 years ago. This is the rest of the story:
My initial visits were to remove and replace all of my metal/mercury fillings. As Dr. B. reviewed my x-rays, he told me that one of the 3 roots of the troublesome molar was split. He and his hygienist advised that I begin to use soft-picks coated with a dōTERRA essential oil blend called OnGuard instead of using floss and that I insert a coated soft-pick under the gum and leave it in for 30 seconds each night to support oral health directly at the split root. This immediately solved the inflammation eruption issue. I was already using OnGuard-infused toothpaste, so my lifelong naturally excessive plaque buildup was even further managed by the additional OnGuard use.
Fast forward to two weeks ago. The crowned molar finally broke off (a huge physical and emotional relief, to be honest) and exposed the gum and roots. Dr. B. examined the area and said I was fine to travel. We made an appointment for me to return this past week for extraction of the rest of the bone fragments and the roots. What we discovered was that the split root was completely broken vertically into 3 equal parts! I am amazed that the tooth lasted as long as it did (there is no way to repair a vertical crack in a root, and the usual course of action is immediate extraction) but especially that I went without inflammation for nearly 4 years.
Why does OnGuard offer such strong support? It’s because of the chemistry of the individual oils in the blend and the way they work together. Among them, these oils contain the following functional groups and properties:
- Phenols – powerful antibacterial, anti-infection, antiseptic; very stimulating to the autonomic nervous system; analgesic, anti-fungal, and cancer preventative
- Oxides – expectorant, mildly stimulating, respiratory support, pain relief, anti-inflammatory
- Monoterpene alcohols – anti-allergenic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, liver and glandular stimulant
- Aldehydes – anti-infection, anti-inflammatory, calming to autonomic nervous system, fever-reducing, hypotensive (lowers blood pressure), tonic
- Monoterpene hydrocarbons – inhibit the accumulation of toxins and help discharge existing toxins; anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, soothing to irritated tissues, cancer preventative, cellular protective
- Ketones – mucolytic (softens hardened mucus and initiates lung cleansing), stimulates cell regeneration, promotes formation of tissue, analgesic, sedative
Thank you, OnGuard. Wild Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and Rosemary. It’s the blend that started me on my dōTERRA journey and remains my “invisible shield” of immunity, oral health, and environmental purity. I knew from day one that it had been proven to be a strong protection against environmental threats like MRSA in the air and on surfaces. Little did I know that it would ultimate save my teeth and completely uplevel my oral health. I now use OnGuard-infused toothpaste, mouthwash, liquid blend, laundry liquid, cleaner concentrate, handwash, throat drops, beadlets, sanitizing mist, and more. Complete home and body protection for pennies per drop!
Would you like to know more about the chemistry of essential oils? I have an excellent e-book that explains essential oil basics, their organic chemistry and the functional groups, the chemistry of each oil offered by dōTERRA, and the chemistry of each constituent contained in one or more of these essential oils. Message me your email address and interests, and I will be delighted to share a copy of the e-book with you.
Would you like to know more about integrative dentistry and holistic dental care? Message me your questions, and I can put you in touch with some helpful resources.
Are you on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn? Let me know if you’d like to be plugged in to more education online, via email, or in person. And leave me a comment or a like here!